Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here is a tasty cornmeal dressing or spoon bread baked in the oven.
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart warm milk
- 4 eggs, well-beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Saute chopped onion in butter.
- Do not brown.
- Turn heat to low.
- Add cornmeal to butter and mix well.
- Add the sugar, salt and warm milk.
- Stir slowly until the cornmeal begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the eggs and baking powder.
- Mix well.
- Pour into a greased 3-quart casserole.
- Bake at 325 degrees F.
- for 1 hour.
This is very similar to what my grandmother (baba) used to make for Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter. She also had a version with bacon, but I prefer it without. Thanks for posting this. It was easy to make and very tasty, bringing back some great childhood memories!