Recipe by Olha
This is a rich and tasty bread to take to church for a Memorial Service. The bread symbolizes the bread of life. It is traditionally round - a symbol of eternity. It may also be braided or decorated in some fashion. This is to emphasize the beauty of the eternal life.
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (approx)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup liquid honey
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted (or vegetable oil)
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, dissolve sugar in water. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy. In large bowl, stir 3 cups flour with salt. With wooden spoon, stir in yeast mixture, honey, eggs, egg yolks and butter. Turn out onto floured surface; knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, dusting with enough of the remaining flour to prevent sticking.
- Place dough in large greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm draft free place until doubled in bulk and indentation remains when dough is poked with 2 fingers, about 1 hour. Punch down dough; knead in raisins. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- To make braid, divide dough into three and roll out into three long ropes. Place on greased baking sheet and braid. Start braiding from the centre to the end and then braid the other side. Tuck ends under braid. Cover braid loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm draft free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- To make crown: Roll into 30 inch long rope. Holding 1 end in place, wind remaining rope around end to form fairly tight spiral that is slightly higher in centre. Transfer to lightly greased baking sheet.
- TOPPING: Stir egg yolk with 1 teaspoons water; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in 350°F oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on bottom. Let cool on rack.