Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A very good dish to serve for Easter. Serve it with rye bread.
- 1 pig's foot, split
- 2 lbs pork neck bones
- 1⁄2 lb boneless veal
- 1⁄2 lb dark turkey meat
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1 cup hot broth
- Scrub pig's foot in cold water and scrape off any bristles.
- Combine meats, vegetables peppercorns, and bay leaf in large kettle or pressure cooker.
- Cook covered in water until very well done (about 3 hours in kettle or 45 minutes at 15 pounds pressure in pressure cooker).
- When meat is loose from bones, uncover and cool.
- Pour off broth, skim off fat, and reserve broth.
- Remove meat from bones, discarding turkey skin and fat and vegetables.
- Chop meat into bite-size pieces and place in an oblong pan.
- Add peeled and crushed garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Soften gelatin in 1 cup hot broth and add to meat.
- Pour enough remaining broth to cover meat by at least 1/2 inch.
- Taste broth and adjust seasoning.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Keeps refrigerated up to 1 week.
- Serve in 1 inch slices sprinkled with flavoured vinegar or lemon juice.
- Garnish with parsley and lemon slices.