Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
For special occasions cabbage rolls are filled with meat.
- 3⁄4 lb lean pork, ground
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 large egg
- 1 large onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium savoy cabbage
- 1 -2 cup chicken stock or 1 -2 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Saute chopped onion in butter until wilted, and cool.
- Mix meat, crumbs, egg, salt, and pepper, and add onion.
- Core the cabbage and bring to boil in a large pot half filled with water.
- Cook about 2 minutes.
- As outer leaves become translucent and soft, pry off and remove one by one with a wooden spoon.
- Trim leaves by paring off the thick part of the rib.
- Grease the bottom of a large baking dish and line it with outer cabbage leaves.
- Place a large spoonful of filling at the stem end of each leaf, fold over sides, then roll from bottom to top.
- Arrange in baking dish pour just enough stock to cover, place extra cabbage leaves on top, and cover with lid.
- Bake at 325 degrees F.
- for 1 hour or in pressure cooker for 20 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.
- Mix flour and sour cream together and gradually add hot broth to make a sauce.
- Cook a few minutes.
- Arrange on platter, cover with sauce, and sprinkle with chopped dill.
- Serve with homemade noodles or with millet kasha.