Recipe by Olha
Find the recipe how to make Ukrainian LOKSHYNA (egg noodles) or use store bought fresh egg noodles.
Top Review by Linda B
We enjoyed this tasty dish. DH particularly liked the bacon and requested that I add more next time. FYI, my 4 slices of bacon yielded a little more than 2T. of bacon grease. I found this a little too dry perhaps because I used half and half in place of cream. I will make again and use cream. Also I needed more than 1/4 cup bread crumbs because I used a rather shallow dish with a large surface area. Maybe a smaller deeper dish woud have helped the dryness?? Anyway, this is good and worth fixing again.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked fresh egg noodles
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup buttered bread crumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the noodles as directed in the recipe for Lokshyna.
- Fry the chopped bacon until crisp, and add it along with the bacon fat to the noodles.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and mix well.
- Combine the egg with the cream and cottage cheese.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Arrange alternate layers of the noodles and cheese mixture in a buttered baking dish.
- Top with the buttered bread crumbs.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350°F) for about 40 minutes.
- Serve as a main dish with a vegetable salad.