Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Home-made noodles are not only delicious but very easy to prepare. They may be made in a large quantity, dried, and stored in a covered container for future need. For a busy homemaker it is convenient and time saving to have a supply of home-made noodles on hand for any emergency. Increase this recipe to suit your need.
- Beat the egg slightly and combine with the remaining ingredients to make a stiff dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured board until the dough is smooth.
- Cover and let it stand for 30 minutes.
- Roll to almost paper-thinness and allow it to dry partially.
- Turn the dough over in order to dry the other side slightly.
- It must neither be sticky nor dry and brittle.
- Fold into a roll or cut into 3 inch strips.
- Stack the strips on top of each other.
- Cut the roll or the strips crosswise into fine shreds.
- Separate the shreds by tossing them lightly with the fingers.
- Spread them out to dry.
- The noodles may be used at once or dried thoroughly, and then stored in a covered container for future use.
- When ready to use, drop the noodles into a large quantity of boiling salted water, stir, and cook for about 8 minutes.
- The cooking period will depend on the size of the noodles.
- Strain over a colander or sieve, and then rinse with cold water to prevent sticking.
- Use as desired.
- BROAD OR SQUARE LOKSHNA: Follow the preceding recipe for Lokshyna.
- Cut the dough into broad shreds or tiny squares.
- These may be used in various lokshyna dishes.
- LOKSHYNA WITH COTTAGE CHEESE: Here is a nutritious dish which is very simple to make.
- Prepare a desired amount of lokshyna.
- Cook as directed.
- Drain, but do not rinse the lokshyna with cold water.
- Add some melted butter or bacon fat and mix lightly.
- Mix in some fresh cottage cheese and season to taste with salt.
- Top with chopped crisp bacon or salt pork.
- Keep it hot until ready to serve.
- LOKSHYNA WITH EGGS: Follow the preceding recipe, but instead of the cheese use lightly beaten eggs.
- To 1 cup of cooked lokshyna allow about 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 egg.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the cooked lokshyna mixed with the eggs and seasoned with salt.
- Cook and stir as for scrambled eggs.
- Serve immediately.
Great recipe, easy and delicious. Added these to my homemade chicken soup. They cooked great and didn't get mushy!!! A definite keeper. Thanks!!
This was the first time I'd ever made noodles from scratch, and were they ever delicious. They were really not as hard as I had imagined. The directions here were very clear. I used them in turkey soup. Thanks Olga.
This is a perfect quantity for 2, so its a good recipe for people who've never made fresh pasta before and want to give it a try.. Also requires very little counter space to make them. We love homemade noodles, the packaged kind just don't compare in flavor and texture. My kids demand them when I make chicken soup, they're so good..