Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Most tortes are compact and flat as compared to the modern high and fluffy cakes. Eggs add lightness to them and, in place of flour, ground nuts or bread crumbs are used as a thickening. Most of the Ukrainian tortes are rich, and the richer the better, since no one is calorie-conscious in Ukraine. The Kyivsky torte consists of layers of sponge cake containing ground hazelnuts or walnuts separated by buttercream filling.
- 3⁄4 lb ground walnuts or 3⁄4 lb hazelnuts (filberts, about 3 1/2 cups)
- 12 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
BUTTERCREAM FILLING and ICING
- 1 1⁄2 cups extra strong coffee (rounded Tablespoons if using instant)
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate or 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- Beat the 12 egg Yolks until light and beat in the sugar gradually (a tablespoon at a time).
- Beat until lemon colored, light and fluffy.
- Fold in the bread crumbs and the nuts.
- Beat the 12 egg whites until stiff.
- Lighten the nut mixture with a bit of the egg whites and then genly fold into the mixture the rest of the whites.
- Butter 2 deep layer pans 9 or 10 inch springform pans (shallow pans may cause the batter to run over in the oven) with soft butter and sprinkle with fine bread crumbs.
- Regular pans can be used, in this case use parchment paper for the bottom of pan and grease the paper also.
- Bake in a 325 F.
- oven for about 30--35 minutes.
- Test cake with a toothpick in the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean the cake is done.
- Cool for 10 minutes and gently with a knife go around the cake to loosen and gently invert and place on a cake rack.
- Fill and frost the cake with the filling.
- If you wish more layers cut each cake in half and fill so that you will have 4 layers.
- FOR THE BUTTERCREAM FILLING AND ICING: Over simmering water in a double boiler add 1 cup HOT strong coffee and add the chocolate, mixing well to melt.
- In a separate bowl-- Beat the 5 egg yolks until light and set aside.
- Blend 2 1/2 Tablespoons of the flour in the remaining 1/2 cup COLD coffee and blend well until smooth and free of any lumps.
- Add the flour mixture to the whipped egg yolks and mix well.
- Add this mixture whisking quickly to the melted chocolate (in the double boiler) and cook until thickens stirring frequently for about 10 minutes.
- When mixture has thickened set it aside to COOL.
- Beat 1 cup unsalted butter with the 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy and gradually beat in the cold chocolate pudding mixture little at a time into the butter and beat until fluffy.