Recipe by Evelyn L Jepson
This recipe is from Baba's Best. Buckwheat honey is used for taste as well as color. Coffee is used whether instant or any that you have left over, in the pot. It is for color also. This should be a dark cake.
Top Review by VicLaw
Good news: very good flavor and texture. Bad news: you really need a deep pan for the recipe and my cakes center did not finish baking but the bottom and sides were very well done. My pan at almost 3 inches deep was a little more than Â¾ full and the cake raised above the rim. When the center shakes like jello it's not done even though a toothpick comes out clean, but if I baked it any longer the bottom would have burned. Next time I plan to only fill my pan no more than Â½ full and use the remaining batter in a loaf or muffin pan.
- 1 cup buckwheat honey
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup coffee
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat honey to a boil.
- Cool honey to room temperature.
- Beat butter and 1/2 of the sugar until light.
- Then beat in egg yolks one at a time.
- Add honey, then stir in sifted dry ingredients,alternately with the wet ingredients.
- Beat the egg whites until fluffy, and fold in the remaining sugar, beat until stiff.
- Fold egg white mixture into honey mixture.
- Spread evenly in greased deep round 9-inch spring-form pan.
- Baked at 325F for 50 minutes. Then lower the heat to 300F and bake for another 25 minutes.