Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
I found this recipe back in my early days as a baker and it has become a staple in my repetoire. It is a very moist cake and the best garnish for it is a simple dusting of icing sugar.
- 1 cup honey, boiled and brought to room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the honey.
- Sift the flour with the other dry ingredients; add in alternately with the sour cream.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the batter.
- Bake in a greased tube pan at 325 degrees F for 50 to 55 minutes, or until done.
- Lower the heat to 300 degrees F in the final stages of baking to prevent the honey from burning.
Real Ukrainian Honey Cake is made with Buckwheat Honey. Normal honey is alright, but, not the flavour you get with Buckwheat honey.