Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is similar to ginger cookies.
- 2 cups honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted rye flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 -2 drop anise oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Bring the honey to a boil and keep it hot.
- Sift the rye and white flour into a frying pan. Heat the flour over a low heat, stirring constantly, until hot. Do not scorch. Mix in the baking soda.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the HOT, not warm, honey, and quickly stir in the hot flour. Beat vigorously until very thick. For easier handling, remove the dough to a greased bowl. Shape the dough into small balls the size of a small walnut and place them well apart on a greased baking sheet. Flatten them down with the bottom of a tumbler wrapped in a dampened cloth.
- Bake in a moderate oven 325°F for about 15 minutes, or until GOLDEN but NOT brown.