Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
It is often made in large quantities for weddings and community dinners.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 lb butter
- 6 cups cornmeal
- 6 quarts milk
- 4 cups cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 24 eggs
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Sauté onions in butter.
- Add cornmeal and fry for a little longer.
- Combine milk, cream, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Heat until warm, add to cornmeal, mixing constantly.
- Let cook till thickened (if lumpy beat with egg beater).
- Remove from heat and add well-beaten eggs and baking powder.
- Fold in gently.
- Pour into large greased roasting pan.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until golden brown.