1/1 Photo of Ukrainian Christmas Kutya
4 hrs 30 mins
This dish should be prepared several days ahead of of time for flavour to develop. It keeps very well in the refrigerator for 2 weeks or so. Very high in vitamins.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash wheat in cold water and soak overnight in the 3 to 4 quarts of water.
- 2The next day, bring the water to a boil then simmer for 4 to 5 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- 3The wheat is ready when the kernels burst open and the fluid is thick and creamy.
- 4Chop the poppy seed in a food processor (or coffee grinder) (or you can buy ground poppy seeds in some deli's) and set aside.
- 5Mix honey, sugar and hot water.
- 6Mix the honey mixture, poppy seeds, and chopped nuts and wheat.
- 7More honey can be added to taste.
- 8Keep in refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ukrainian Christmas Kutya
Serving Size: 1 (425 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.0
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 11.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 30.8 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: