Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This dish should be prepared several days ahead of of time for flavour to develop. It keeps very well in the refrigerator for 2 weeks or so. Very high in vitamins.
- 2 cups cleaned wheat berries
- 3 -4 quarts water
- 1 cup cleaned poppy seed
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- Wash wheat in cold water and soak overnight in the 3 to 4 quarts of water.
- The next day, bring the water to a boil then simmer for 4 to 5 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- The wheat is ready when the kernels burst open and the fluid is thick and creamy.
- Chop the poppy seed in a food processor (or coffee grinder) (or you can buy ground poppy seeds in some deli's) and set aside.
- Mix honey, sugar and hot water.
- Mix the honey mixture, poppy seeds, and chopped nuts and wheat.
- More honey can be added to taste.
- Keep in refrigerator.
I use an apple instead of nuts ,less sugar and a bit more honey
We have been trying various versions of Kutya every Russian Christmas for several years, and this one is fabulous! We finally found something to stick with! Thank you for posting it! I substituted the wheat berries for spelt berries and used some raw honey along with the regular honey. Yummy!! When we wake up late the next morning we add some whipping cream to the leftovers and have it for breakfast :)