Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Fish, grains, legumes, vegetables and dried or preserved fruits—foods that are always available in Ukraine in winter—are used extensively in the meatless Christmas Eve dinner.
- 1 (4 lb) whole fish (salmon, whitefish or pickerel )
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- lemon wedge
- fresh parsley
- Scale and clean fish.
- Prepare stuffing: In a large fry pan, heat oil and sauté onion and celery until transparent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in breadcrumbs, sage, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper to taste and 1/4 cup water.
- Stuff fish and sew up opening. Brush outside with oil. Place on a large baking sheet or jelly roll pan and bake in 400°F oven, allowing 10 minutes per inch of thickness (measured at the thickest point).
- Serve on a hot platter, garnished with lemon wedges and parsley. Makes 8 servings.