Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
Rich pastry with a layer of rice, chicken mixture, mushrooms, hard boiled eggs and dill.
- 2 onions, halved
- 1 stalk celery, halved
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups water
- 4 lbs chicken
SOUR CREAM PASTRY
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, CHILLED (1/4 lb)
- 2 eggs, LIGHTLY BEATEN
- 1 cup sour cream (1/2 pint)
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 pint sour cream (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms, fried in butter
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- For the chicken: In a kettle combine the first 5 ingredients and boil for 15 minutes. Add the chicken, cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- When the chicken is done, remove the meat and chop.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups stock for the filling.
- For the pastry: Sift the flour with the baking powder onto a pastry board.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and add the butter.
- Using a pastry blender or your fingers, mix the butter and flour together into a stiff granular dough that is the consistency of cornmeal.
- Mix the eggs, yolk, salt and sour cream together. Add enough of the liquid until the liquid is absorbed and the dough holds together.
- Do not over-handle.
- If the dough will not hold together, add a bit more of the egg and sour cream mixture.
- Quickly form the dough into a ball, wrap in a damp towel and chill for 1 hour.
- Blend 1 1/2 cups of the stock and the 1/2 cup of sour cream and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and blend in the parsley, nutmeg, lemon juice and the chopped chicken and salt to taste.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to 1/8-inch thickness and line a deep pie dish.
- Beginning and ending with a layer of rice, alternate a layer of the chicken mixture with a layer of the mushrooms and a layer of the chopped eggs and dill.
- Press down filling, then cover with the remaining pastry, crimping the edges to seal.
- Cut a 1-inch hole in the center, then brush lid with egg.
- Bake 15 minutes in a 400°F oven, then reduce heat to 350°F and bake until the kurnyk bubbles at the edges, about 30 minutes.
- Serve hot. Serves 8.
- Larousse Treasury of Country Cooking.