Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here is another version of Ukrainian Bukovinian Nachynka.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk, scalded
- 3 eggs, well-beaten
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Add onion and saute.
- Remove bacon and onion.
- Bacon drippings can be used instead of butter.
- On low heat, gently stir in the cornmeal and stir so it is coated.
- Add salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Scald milk and add it gradually, stirring constantly, until bubbly and all the milk is gone.
- Simmer until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add eggs, cream, bacon pieces, and onion.
- fold gently.
- Pour into 2 quart casserole and bake uncovered in oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.