Anne Edgell's Note:
Borschtsch Ukrainskii. ORIGIN: Taisa Kamnotsky, Kyiv-Ukraine, circa 1997
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 quart water
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 cups beer
- 2 large beets, peeled and julienned
- 4 lbs beef chuck with bone
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 lb smoked pork butt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large carrot, scraped, diced
- 1 medium onion, coarse chopped
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- black pepper
- 4 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 cup potato, peeled and diced 1/2
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1In a large stockpot bring the beef to a boil in 2 1/2 quart. Water with 1 tbs of salt. After 10 minutes of boiling reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes more, then remove meat, cool and remove meat from bone & cube 1/2".
- 2In a large skillet on heat the oil on medium heat. Saute the onion, beets, and carrot until they are soft. Add the potato and butter then cook for 2 minutes more.
- 3In the mean time bring the beef stock, water & beer to a boil in the stockpot. Add salt and pepper, vinegar, and meat.
- 4Drain the beet-carrot-onion and potato mixture and add to stockpot. Reduce heat and cook for 20 min.
- 5then add cabbage, tomato paste and pork butt. Cook another 30 to 45 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate overnight, re-heat and serve. A large dollop or 2 of sour cream in the soup is mandatory when served. Allow each person to stir it in themselves.
- 7*NOTE: You may add 1 1/2 cups of cooked white beans to this soup if you wish but if you do so soak them in vinegar then add them to the soup.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ukrainian Borschtsch
Serving Size: 1 (5405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1638.4
- Calories from Fat 833
- Total Fat 92.6 g
- Saturated Fat 35.7 g
- Cholesterol 120.8 mg
- Sodium 18645.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 137.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 34.3 g
- Sugars 56.3 g
- Protein 47.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked pork butt