Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This borscht is very healthy. Preparation and cooking time is quite long, however, you will not be disappointed. You will note that I cook most of the vegetables separately as each vegetable takes different times to cook, therefore, you do not have mushy soup. This is my Mothers recipe, however, I have improved on it and my Mother likes my recipe better. It is of Ukrainian origin,
- 1 cup pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 4 large beets, peeled and grated (about 4 cups)
- 6 cups water
- 4 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped small
- 2 medium onions, chopped small
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chicken soup base or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup instant potato flakes (Idaho)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons dried dill weed (or more if desired)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- In a medium size saucepan, add pinto beans and 6 cups water, bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans start to split.
- Make sure beans are covered with water at all times during simmering; add additional water if required.
- Save water along with beans to add to borscht later.
- Peel and grate beets.
- In a large cooking pot, add grated beets and 6 cups of water.
- Boil beets until just tender, DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- Peel and grate carrots.
- In a separate medium size saucepan, add grated carrots and 3 cups of water, cook until just tender.
- Add cooked carrots and liquid to the pot with beets.
- In another separate medium size saucepan, add diced potatoes and 2 cups of water and cook until tender.
- Mash potatoes in the water and add to the cooking pot with beets.
- In a separate large saucepan, add chopped celery, chopped onions, diced green and red peppers, chopped garlic, 4 cups of water, chicken soup base and simmer covered until vegetables are tender.
- When tender, add to the large cooking pot along with the liquid.
- Add vegetable broth to cooking pot, stir well and bring to boil.
- Add instant potato flakes, black pepper, soy sauce, dried dill weed, sugar, vinegar and cook for 5 minutes.
- If borscht appears too thick, add additional water or chicken broth (one cup at a time) and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- If soup tastes too sweet, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and stir well.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- Refrigerate any unused portion.
Excellent recipe. Flavor second to none. Time consuming and many dishes but worth the trouble since it makes such a large batch. I did freeze individual portions. I followed the recipe with no changes. Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe that we will enjoy over and over.
Very good. Made exactly according to recipe and it was great. Thanks. Jim
Yummmmm, made this this afternoon, after all I did get Uncle Bill's cookbook from Santa ;). I did omit the pinto beans as I didn't have them on hand but the soup was and is absolutely devine!!! Thanks Uncle Bill