1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 20 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This borscht is very healthy. Preparation and cooking time is quite long, however, you will not be disappointed. You will note that I cook most of the vegetables separately as each vegetable takes different times to cook, therefore, you do not have mushy soup. This is my Mothers recipe, however, I have improved on it and my Mother likes my recipe better. It is of Ukrainian origin,
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 4 large beets, peeled and grated (about 4 cups)
- 6 cups water
- 4 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped small
- 2 medium onions, chopped small
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chicken soup base or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup instant potato flakes (Idaho)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons dried dill weed (or more if desired)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1In a medium size saucepan, add pinto beans and 6 cups water, bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans start to split.
- 2Make sure beans are covered with water at all times during simmering; add additional water if required.
- 3Save water along with beans to add to borscht later.
- 4Peel and grate beets.
- 5In a large cooking pot, add grated beets and 6 cups of water.
- 6Boil beets until just tender, DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- 7Peel and grate carrots.
- 8In a separate medium size saucepan, add grated carrots and 3 cups of water, cook until just tender.
- 9Add cooked carrots and liquid to the pot with beets.
- 10In another separate medium size saucepan, add diced potatoes and 2 cups of water and cook until tender.
- 11Mash potatoes in the water and add to the cooking pot with beets.
- 12In a separate large saucepan, add chopped celery, chopped onions, diced green and red peppers, chopped garlic, 4 cups of water, chicken soup base and simmer covered until vegetables are tender.
- 13When tender, add to the large cooking pot along with the liquid.
- 14Add vegetable broth to cooking pot, stir well and bring to boil.
- 15Add instant potato flakes, black pepper, soy sauce, dried dill weed, sugar, vinegar and cook for 5 minutes.
- 16If borscht appears too thick, add additional water or chicken broth (one cup at a time) and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- 17Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 18If soup tastes too sweet, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and stir well.
- 19Serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- 20Refrigerate any unused portion.
Nutritional Facts for Ukrainian Borscht
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 80.8
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 292.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 3.4 g