Recipe by Olha
This is a hearty meat soup made with beets, onions, tomatoes and cabbage, topped with a dollop of sour cream. Serve it with its traditional partner, meat filled pastries, pyrizhky.
FOR THE BORSCH
- 4 lbs shin beef
- 1 large soup bone, with marrow
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, peeled, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, cut up
- 3 parsley sprigs
- 10 whole black bell peppers
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups coarsely shredded cabbage (1 lb)
- 1 1⁄2 cups thickly sliced pared carrots (4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 3 teaspoons dried dill
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (1 lb) canjulienne beet, undrained
- sour cream
- snipped fresh dill or dill weed
FOR THE PYRIZHKY
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen patty shells
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups coarsely chopped cooked beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Day before: In 8-quart kettle, place beef, marrowbone, 1 Tablespoon salt and 2 quarts water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1 hour. Add tomatoes, quartered onion, celery, parsley, black peppers and bay leaves; simmer, covered, 2 hours.
- Remove from heat. Lift out beef. Discard marrowbone. Strain soup in colander. (There should be 9 or 10 cups.) Return soup and beef to kettle. Add cabbage, carrot, chopped onion, 2 Tablespoons fresh dill, the vinegar, sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30 minutes, or until beef and vegetables are tender. Refrigerate overnight. Next day, skim off fat. Remove beef; cut into 1-inch cubes; coarsely chop 1 1/4 cups of the meat for the pyrizhky; return rest to soup along with beets. Makes 3 1/2 quarts.
- FOR THE PYRIZHKY: Remove patty shells from package; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile, in hot butter in small skillet, sauté onion 2 minutes. Add 3 Tablespoons sour cream, the 1 1/4 cup chopped beef, dill, salt, pepper; mix well; reserve and cool.
- Preheat oven to 425°F On lightly floured pastry cloth, roll EACH patty shell to make oblong 8 by 5 inches; cut in HALF crosswise. Spread a rounded tablespoon of filling on half of EACH piece. Fold other half over filling; crimp edges to seal; cut slits in top.
- Place on cookie sheet lined with heavy brown paper or parchment paper. Brush with egg yolk beaten with 1 Tablespoon water. Bake 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Makes 12.
- Meanwhile, heat soup gently to boiling. Serve with sour cream, dill and the warm pyrizhky.