Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Any seasoning (Greek, Cajun, thyme, etc.) may be added to the ground beef mixture to spice it up a bit.
- 10 large firm tomatoes, reserve pulp for the gravy
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- Slice the tops off of the tomatoes; scoop out the pulp and seeds, leaving a tomato cup and reserve pulp for the gravy.
- Season the inside of the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Brown the meat and onions; mix in the cooked rice, season with salt and pepper, and fill the tomatoes with the mixture.
- Place in a shallow baking pan that has been well-greased and bake for 40 minutes in preheated 375°F oven.
- For the gravy, brown the flour in the butter.
- Mix in the other ingredients including the pulp removed from the tomatoes.
- Cook for 5 minutes and pour over the tomatoes at serving.