Recipe by Olha
"little horns," are a specialty of the southern Ukraine. They are flaky pastries stuffed with sugar and nuts, and I warn you, they can be addictive.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 cup sweet butter, room temperature
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups almonds, toasted and coarsely ground
- 2⁄3-3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Pastry: For the pastry, mix together the flour and yeast in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry fork until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in the egg yolks and sour cream and mix well.
- The mixture will still be crumbly.
- Form the dough into a ball using your hands, working it as little as possible.
- The less you knead, the more tender the pastry will be.
- The dough will be tacky.
- Wrap it in waxed paper and chill it for at least 2 hours.
- Prepare the FILLING by combining the ground almonds and sugar in a small bowl.
- Beat together the egg whites and salt until stiff, but not dry, and carefully fold them into the nut mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- When the dough is thoroughly chilled, divide it into three balls.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll out three circles about 1/8" thick.
- Work on a well-floured surface to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Cut each circle into eight pie-shaped wedges and spread the wedges with the filling.
- Starting at the wide end, roll each wedge up like a little croissant and then pull the ends into a curve to form a"horn.
- "Make sure the point is on the bottom so the"horns" will not open up while baking.
- Place the almond crescents on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for about 30- 40 min, until golden and puffed.