Recipe by Julesong
Delicious and unusual way to prepare shrimp! In addition to bean sprouts, squash or sweet potato can be used in this recipe. Serve while hot or warm.
Top Review by LuvMyBabies
I'm Filipino so I know what an authentic ukoy tastes like. This was delicious. Very authentic. Just like my moms. you can use shredded carrots or sweet potato instead of papaya. But either way it'll taste good. Never put tofu in before so I left that out.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup annatto water
- 1 1⁄2 cups shrimp broth
- 1 egg, well beaten
- cooking oil
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 pieces tofu, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 lb small shrimp, cleaned
- 1 cup papaya
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the first five batter ingredients together in a bowl.
- Blend in the annatto water, broth and egg.
- Beat until smooth.
- Heat oil in high heat for deep-frying.
- Set aside.
- Arrange a bed of bean sprouts and green papaya in a saucer.
- Top with some green onion, tofu strips and shrimps.
- Add about 1/3 cup of batter.
- Slide the mixture carefully into the hot oil.
- Fry until crisp and brown on both sides.
- Serve with a mixture of vinegar and crushed garlic for dipping seasoned with salt and pepper.