Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
This comes from my personal archives from years back. I have no idea how the cake got it's name but it quite good.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix (4 serving size)
- 1 (16 ounce) can fruit cocktail in heavy syrup
- 1 cup coconut, flaked
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups coconut
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- Blend all cake ingredients except for brown sugar and nuts and beat 4 minutes with electric mixer at med. speed.
- Pour into a well greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Sprinkle with the brown sugar and nuts.
- Bake in a 325F oven about 45 minutes or tested done. Cool 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make glaze by combining glaze ingredients and boiling for 2 minutes.
- Pour over warm cake.
Yowsers! How on earth did this recipe last so long at Zaar without being reviewed? It's great! It was easy to make, smelled wonderful as it baked, and tastes delicious. I omitted the nuts (personal preference) and used Del Monte Mandarin Magic (mandarin oranges and peaches combined) since I didn't have any fruit cocktail at home. Also, the recipe doesn't state it, but I drained the fruit. I will definitely be making this again! I can see where the "ugly" name comes from -- it is rather homely -- but it's truly a beautiful dessert :-)
This recipe is very easy to prepare! I needed to serve a dessert with items I had in the pantry, and this filled the bill. I did have a similar recipe from many years ago, but I prefer this one. I used a lemon cake mix, as this is what I had on hand---it made the cake even richer. I also used brown sugar instead of granulated (white). My family gave this recipe a 10 . Note: Do not drain the fruit cocktail---the syrup/juice is part of the liquid needed in the ingredients. The cake will probably turn out if you do drain the juice, but if you add it in, the cake will be lighter and more moist.
Not the prettiest cake, hence the name but quite delicious and moist! I use 1 cup pecans as our preference. Since we're diabetic, I use Splenda, sugar free yellow cake mix, sugar free pudding, Splenda brown sugar blend and lite fruit cocktail. I've also made it using sugar free Devils food cake, sugar free chocolate pudding in place of the other ones in the recipe and it's a chocolate lovers delight too!!