Recipe by NoSpringChicken
On a trip to New Orleans, we had lunch at a delightful little restaurant named the Ugly Dog Saloon and BarBQ. Those at our table loved their Cole Slaw and it's delicious dressing. The waitress graciously copied the recipe for us from the kitchen wall. Her version started with one gallon of mayonnaise, but I have scaled it down! Cooking time is for chilling, if desired.
Top Review by pippi lo
I used to live in New Orleans, and The Ugly Dog was a venue i would service...anyway i have seen the recipe written on the back wall in person , and i can swear there was a dash of tobasco in the recipe. I have been making this slaw or over a decade and i have always added the tobasco. Just my two cents.
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (the real stuff, not low-fat)
- 1 tablespoon garlic pepper seasoning (Lawry's is one)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses, plus
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 3 cups red cabbage, very coarsely chopped (or both) or 3 cups green cabbage (or both)