Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
On a trip to New Orleans, we had lunch at a delightful little restaurant named the Ugly Dog Saloon and BarBQ. Those at our table loved their Cole Slaw and it's delicious dressing. The waitress graciously copied the recipe for us from the kitchen wall. Her version started with one gallon of mayonnaise, but I have scaled it down! Cooking time is for chilling, if desired.
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (the real stuff, not low-fat)
- 1 tablespoon garlic pepper seasoning (Lawry's is one)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses, plus
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 3 cups red cabbage, very coarsely chopped (or both) or 3 cups green cabbage (or both)
- In small bowl, blend all ingredients, except the cabbage; whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Chop cabbage into 3/4 to 1 inch chunks (authentic Ugly Dog Style!).
- Combine with dressing.
- Serve immediately or chill for an hour.
I used to live in New Orleans, and The Ugly Dog was a venue i would service...anyway i have seen the recipe written on the back wall in person , and i can swear there was a dash of tobasco in the recipe. I have been making this slaw or over a decade and i have always added the tobasco. Just my two cents.
This is killer coleslaw. I spent a lot of time in New Orleans after Katrina and ate at the Ugly Dog often, it's very close to what they serve. This is not "ya Mama's" coleslaw, so be ready for something very different. It is very good and my family loves it with BBQ. If you don't have Molasses you I have used Steen's cane syurp and had just as good results.
Brilliant! Deserves every one of its five stars.