On a trip to New Orleans, we had lunch at a delightful little restaurant named the Ugly Dog Saloon and BarBQ. Those at our table loved their Cole Slaw and it's delicious dressing. The waitress graciously copied the recipe for us from the kitchen wall. Her version started with one gallon of mayonnaise, but I have scaled it down! Cooking time is for chilling, if desired.
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (the real stuff, not low-fat)
- 1 tablespoon garlic pepper seasoning (Lawry's is one)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses, plus
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 3 cups red cabbage, very coarsely chopped (or both) or 3 cups green cabbage (or both)
- In small bowl, blend all ingredients, except the cabbage; whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Chop cabbage into 3/4 to 1 inch chunks (authentic Ugly Dog Style!).
- Combine with dressing.
- Serve immediately or chill for an hour.