Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
An easy stir-fry with hearty udon noodles.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lime, juice of
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless sirloin steak, cut into strips across the grain
- 1 lb cooked udon noodles
- 7 ounces fine green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 small hot red chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- In a shallow dish, combine the soy sauce and lime juice.
- Season well with salt and pepper; add in the steak.
- Stir until the steak is coated in the marinade; let marinate 1 hours; drain, reserving marinade.
- Put the cooked noodles in a pan of boiling water; cook for 1 minute to separate them.
- Drain well, refresh under cold running water, and set on one side.
- Plunge the green beans into a pan of boiling water and blanch for 2 minutes, then drain, refresh under cold running water, and set on one side.
- Heat a wok until hot; add the oil, then toss in the beef; stir-fry 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the beef from the wok using a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Add the chilies, scallions, and green beans to the wok, stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add the fish sauce, reserved marinade, and sugar; stir, then return the beef to the wok along with the noodles, stirring constantly until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, mix in cilantro; serve with the basil scattered over the top.