Udon Noodles With Egg Broth and Ginger
- Place water and soup ingredients in large pan bringing to boil over med heat. When it boils remove from heat. Let stand a minute then strain thru muslin. Check taste, add more salt if needed.
- Cook the Undo by heating 9 cups water in pan and cook for 8 minutes or according to package. Drain under cold running water. Wash off starch with your hands. Leave in sieve.
- Pour soup into large pan and bring to boil. Blend the cornstarch with 4 tbsp water. Reduce soup heat to medium and gradually add the cornstarch mix. Stir constantly. Soup will thicken after a few minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Mix egg, mustard/cress and onions in small bowl. Stir soup to create whirlpool. Pour eggs slowly into soup pan.
- Reheat Undon with hot water from kettle. Divide between bowls. Pour soup on top. Garnish with ginger. Serve hot.
- Note use kezuri-bushi if you can find it.