Recipe by MajKaj
Modified recipe from The Bold Vegetarian Chef. You can usually find black bean sauce and rice vinegar in the Asian section of most supermarkets. You can use regular vinegar, but rice vinegar has a more subtle flavor and is recommended.
Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
We loved these. I made some changes, such as reducing the vinegar by half and leaving out the lemon juice. I also added a knorr beef cube in place of the salt. These are easy to make and we all enjoyed them. Thanks for the recipe.
- 4 shiitake mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 8 ounces firm tofu (1/2 package)
- 4 dried red chilies, each broken in half
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups won bok Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 lb udon noodles
- 1 head broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can bamboo shoots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- If using dried mushrooms, soak then for 15 minutes in warm water. Cut out and discard center stem, cut up the rest of the mushrooms into small, bite-size pieces.
- Peel and slice carrot into matchstick.
- Place a large pot of water on the stove to boil.
- Slice the tofu into three slabs as if they were small slices of bread. Heat 2 tablespoons of peanut oil in a pan. Fry both sides of the tofu slabs until lightly browned.
- Remove from pan and let tofu slabs cool on paper towels to drain any oil. Cut up slabs into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons peanut oil in a wok or large pan. Add the chilies, garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the onion and cook until onion is slightly softened -- about 3 minutes.
- Drop the udon noodles and the broccoli into the water (let this cook while you are stir-frying). In the wok, add the cabbage, carrot and mushroom. Stir-fry until the cabbage wilts. Drain noodles and broccoli in a colander, and then add to wok.
- Stir in sesame oil, black bean sauce, sugar, soy sauce and bamboo shoots. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat. REMOVE CHILES! Stir in vinegar and lemon juice. Stir in tofu cubes (stir gently so as not to break up the tofu). Serve in bowls garnished with a little bit of sesame seeds.