Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I've been told by a number of Scottish friends that the Udny Arms (in Aberdeenshire, Scotland) has THE best sticky toffee pudding. Thankfully they've made it available on the web! I've had a number of sticky toffee puddings since living in Scotland, but this one is by far the best. It is also very easy to make! (Recipe info from: Recipe collected by Bernie Jurasek from the Udny Arms Hotel in Scotland and shared with Pat Busst circa 1986. Typed by Jack Busst, Calgary, Alberta. 94/02/27 Jack Busst c/o THE MESSHALL, 1:134/73)
- 118.29 ml butter
- 473.18 ml confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 709.77 ml flour
- 226.79 g dates (pitted and cut into pieces)
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 473.18 ml boiling water
- 236.59 ml butter
- 650.62 ml brown sugar
- 473.19 ml whipping cream
- For the Pudding:.
- Cream butter and sugar until white and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs gradually.
- Fold in flour.
- In a separate bowl pour the boiling water over the dates and soda.
- When water is absorbed add other ingredients and cream mixture.
- Bake in 9" x 13" cake pan in moderate hot oven (350 F) for 40 minutes.
- For the Sauce:.
- Mix all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Poke holes in top of cake and pour half of mixture over top, allowing sauce to soak into cake.
- Brown under grill before serving.
- Keep remaining sauce hot and spoon onto still warm pieces of cake cut into 3" squares.
- Top with whipped cream.
Awesome!! Mine was also done after 30 minutes and it was very moist. I first had this dessert in Ireland and fell in love with it. I always thought it was hard to make but this couldn't have been easier and I had most everything on hand.
This is THE STP recipe I use alot. Makes a great dessert, is easy to make and is good enough to serve to company. The only change I made was microwaving the dates and water until they reach a 'jam' consistency then allowing them to cool a little before adding them to the batter mixture. It can be made ahead of time, along with the sauce and will quite happily wait while dinner is being enjoyed. The ONLY reason it would be of a dry consistency is over cooking the 'cake'. Try checking after 30 minutes.
Made this for a friend who used to live in Aberdeen and regularly went to Udny Arms for sticky toffee pudding. She said I nailed it. This recipe is it. My family loves it. In fact this is what my daughter wants for her birthday instead of cake.