I've been told by a number of Scottish friends that the Udny Arms (in Aberdeenshire, Scotland) has THE best sticky toffee pudding. Thankfully they've made it available on the web! I've had a number of sticky toffee puddings since living in Scotland, but this one is by far the best. It is also very easy to make! (Recipe info from: Recipe collected by Bernie Jurasek from the Udny Arms Hotel in Scotland and shared with Pat Busst circa 1986. Typed by Jack Busst, Calgary, Alberta. 94/02/27 Jack Busst c/o THE MESSHALL, 1:134/73)
- For the Pudding:.
- Cream butter and sugar until white and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs gradually.
- Fold in flour.
- In a separate bowl pour the boiling water over the dates and soda.
- When water is absorbed add other ingredients and cream mixture.
- Bake in 9" x 13" cake pan in moderate hot oven (350 F) for 40 minutes.
- For the Sauce:.
- Mix all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Poke holes in top of cake and pour half of mixture over top, allowing sauce to soak into cake.
- Brown under grill before serving.
- Keep remaining sauce hot and spoon onto still warm pieces of cake cut into 3" squares.
- Top with whipped cream.