1/2 Photos of Udipi Sambar
Girl from India's Note:
This is the recipe served in the famed Udipi restaurants (the exponents of Mangalorean cuisine worldwide) with dosas and idlis. Posted specially for a friend on request :)You do not need sambar powder with this recipe. Omit whichever veges you cannot find. You can make this without veges too :) Cooking and preparation time approx.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup tuvar dal
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal
- 6 red chilies
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 5 sprigs curry leaves
- 1/4 coconut, grated
- 25 -30 shallots, cleaned and peeled. (small red onions called sambar onions in india)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustards seeds
- 1 pinch hing
- 2 green chilies
- 2 cups chopped into big chunks vegetables, of choice (brinjals, carrots, french beans, pumpkin, yam)
- 50 ml tamarind pulp (lemon sized ball of tamarind soaked in 1/3 cup of water.)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons jaggery or 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar, can be substituted i guess
- 1Cook the tuvar dal till tender then mash.
- 2Heat 1 tblsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan and roast the fenugreek seeds till light red, then add 1/2 tsp urad dal and let it saute till they change colour too.
- 3Add the red chilli and coriander seeds.
- 4Add a 3 sprigs of curry leaves and the grated coconut and roast.
- 5They should all turn light brown and aromatic.
- 6Cool and grind to a fine paste with a little water.
- 7Heat 1 tblsp oil in a pan.
- 8Add the mustard seed.
- 9When they splutter add 1/2 tsp of urad dal and the hing.
- 10Fry for a minute.
- 11Add the onions and green chillies, slit and the rest of the curry leaves.
- 12Add your choice of vegetables Fry till you get a nice aroma.
- 13Add a little water.
- 14Cover and cook till the veges are done.
- 15Extract pulp from the tamarind and add to the vegetables.
- 16Add salt and crumbled jaggery (you can use brown sugar i think instead) and cook till the raw smell of the tamarind disappears.
- 17Add the mashed dal and the ground masala.
- 18Mix weel and add a little water if reqd.
- 19Simmer for a few mins.
- 20Serve with dosas, idlis or rice.
- 21And enjoy.
Nutritional Facts for Udipi Sambar
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.0
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 172.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 11.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: