Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Enjoy a tray of the gingeriest ginger cookies ever! These are packed with ground ginger and TWO hits of fresh (grated and chopped), then rolled in instant ginger-infused honey granules.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup apple butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup coarse raw sugar (or instant ginger honey crystals)
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment or SilPat.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the shortening, apple butter, sugar, syrup, molasses, salt and gingers until well-combined.
- Add the flours, flax seed and baking soda, mixing well.
- Roll into 24 little balls (about the size of a walnut), then roll balls in the honey crystals and place on the sheet 1" apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on the sheet.