Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Senegal, West African dish.
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 lbs chicken pieces, cut in halves
- 3 lbs white onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1 quart chicken stock
- white rice
- watercress (to garnish) or fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Pour: 1 cup lemon juice and 1 cup salad oil over the chickens;.
- Allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chickens and broil (preferably over charcoal) until chickens brown on all sides and are about half done.
- Simmer the onion mixture above over direct heat stirring up from bottom to prevent onions from browning. Onions should remain white. cook no longer than 5 minutes.
- Return chickens to pan, smothering them with the onions.
- Pour 1 quart chicken stock over the mixture.
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes until onions turn a light golden color.
- cook 1/2 to 1 lb white rice as directed on package.
- Place serving of cooked rice on a dinner plate. Top with 1 broiled chicken half.
- Cover with 1/2 to 1 cup Yassa onion mixture.
- Garnish with watercress or parsley.