Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Served in the dining room of the U.S. Senate.
- 1 lb dried great northern bean
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Put beans and enough water to cover in pot.
- Bring to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and soak for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- In large pot, put beans, ham bone, and 3 quarts water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat,cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add next 5 ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove hambone.
- Remove meat from bone and cut in small pieces.
- Return to pot.
- Heat through.
Once again Inez, you have submitted a delicious recipe! This is perhaps one of the best bean soups I have ever eaten. My only negative comment is that I thought 3 onions would be a bit much, so I used only one. It turned out well. I think 3 onions would just overwhelm the flavor of this great soup.
This is so delicious!!!!!
YUM!! I added chopped carrots. Great soup!