Prep1 hr 10 mins
Served in the dining room of the U.S. Senate.
Make and share this U. S. Senate Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Put beans and enough water to cover in pot.
- Bring to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and soak for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- In large pot, put beans, ham bone, and 3 quarts water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat,cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add next 5 ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove hambone.
- Remove meat from bone and cut in small pieces.
- Return to pot.
- Heat through.