Recipe by Mercy
I am not too sure on the Navy part as I found this on another site and I have no Navy experience, but it is said that that this is served over toast at breakfast and it is also great on hot dogs.
Top Review by don417 ..
Sorry, this is not the legit recipe. As a Navy Cook I can tell you there are no sugar, WATER or tomato juice involved in this recipe. And Mace is the spice. Nutmeg is only optional. Why would you water down a tomato based sauce?
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- cooking oil, if needed
- salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons flour, approximate
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, diced
- 5 1⁄2 ounces tomato juice
- 2 cups hot water, approximate
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble the ground beef into a skillet and brown with the onions.
- If beef is very lean, add a tablespoon or two of cooking oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add flour, one tablespoon at a time, stirring and cooking each spoonful, before adding the next.
- The flour must be cooked to preclude a starchy taste through out.
- Add enough flour to absorb most of the oil.
- Stir in the tomatoes and the tomato juice, followed by the water.
- Allow to simmer on low heat to thicken.
- Adjust consistency as necessary.
- Add nutmeg and sugar and adjust to taste.