1/1 Photo of U F O Enchiladas
1 hr 10 mins
Kellie in SLO's Note:
My parents lived in Santa Fe, New Mexico before I was born and my dad learned to make these. He didn't follow a recipe, just threw things in the pot, so it took a bit of figuring out. Dad used to drive to a little town called Chimayo and get a special chili powder for making these, that is why there is such a wide gap of chili powder in the ingredients (Chimayo chili powder is pretty potent stuff). The fried egg on top is what really makes these unique.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2-1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (depending on how spicy you want them)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup vegetable oil (optional)
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1In a large pot brown the hamburger and 3/4 of the onion reserving some to sprinkle over the tops when they are done if desired.
- 2When the meat is brown and the onion tender add the tomato sauce and chili powder and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3In a small bowl mix the cornstarch and water together until blended, and pour into the sauce in the pan.
- 4Stir until sauce is thickened about 10 minutes or so.
- 5In a skillet just slightly larger than the tortillas heat the oil until hot.
- 6Slide a tortilla in the hot oil and cook for 5 seconds on each side, don't let them get too crisp.
- 7Place on a plate and spread sauce over the top.
- 8Top with 1/4 cup cheese.
- 9Repeat with a second layer of tortilla, sauce and cheese.
- 10Carefully slide an egg in the hot oil and using a spatula splash some of the hot oil over the egg to cook the white.
- 11Scoop egg out of the oil and place on top of the enchilada.
- 12Scatter some of the chopped lettuce around and some onion if desired.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for U F O Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (625 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 684.3
- Calories from Fat 334
- Total Fat 37.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 322.2 mg
- Sodium 1947.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 41.4 g