Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Tzivia's mom, Ruth, was a regal woman who could make jeans and a shirt with rolled up sleeves look like an outfit for a queen. She was poised, lovely, and down to earth. She gave her daughter this recipe, her daughter gave it to me, and I give it to you. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It does well doubled or even tripled.
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons soymilk
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- Cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Stir in the eggs, molasses and milk/soymilk.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients, then add to the wet stuff. Mix well.
- Refrigerate at least an hour, preferably more.
- Bake on greased cookie sheets at 350F for about 15 minutes.