Recipe by MarieRynr
This is a very simple, yet tasty soup recipe. I often make this when I am in a hurry and can't think of anything else. We love it in my house. I think it is Mennonite in origin.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped or sliced onions
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices buttered toast
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onions in salted water unil tender.
- Add the milk and simmer together for about 10 minutes.
- Add butter and pepper.
- Put a slice of buttered toast into each of 4 flat bottomed soup dishes, heap grated cheese on top of toast and pour hot soup over it.