Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
When I couldn't find a recipe for Tzimmes (a traditional sweet Rosh Hashana dish made of carrots to symbolize a sweet and bountiful new year), I went searching through my cookbooks until I found this one in Kosher by Design. It is also Kosher for Passover and can be make in ramekins for a special look.
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups carrots, finely grated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup matzo meal or 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 6 -8 ounces crushed pineapple in syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x9 inch square pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Using a spatula, fold in the carrots, sugar, and matzo meal.
- Fold in the egg yolks oil, lemon juice, orange juice, and pineapples with syrup.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until top is golden brown.
- Scoop or spoon out of the pan to serve.