Adapted from Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Grate or finely mince the onions and drain, reserving 1/4 cup juice.
- 3Combine the onions, juice, sugar, oil and 2 eggs in a large bowl.
- 4In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds. Stir to mix.
- 5Add the flour mixture to the onion mixture, stirring just enough to blend thoroughly.
- 6On a floured surface, roll dough out to a thickness of 1/4"-1/2".
- 7Cut into 2"x2" squares, or use a cookie cutter to make diamond or round shapes.
- 8Place on a greased baking sheet.
- 9Beat the remaining egg together with the water.
- 10Brush over tops.
- 11Bake until lightly browned around the edges, 15-20 minutes.
- 12Place baking sheet on wire rack and let cool.
- 13These are best the day they are made, but keep well if stored in a tightly closed container.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tzibeleh Kuchen
Serving Size: 1 (40 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 91.0
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 18.6 mg
- Sodium 368.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: