Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking.
Make and share this Tzibeleh Kuchen recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grate or finely mince the onions and drain, reserving 1/4 cup juice.
- Combine the onions, juice, sugar, oil and 2 eggs in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds. Stir to mix.
- Add the flour mixture to the onion mixture, stirring just enough to blend thoroughly.
- On a floured surface, roll dough out to a thickness of 1/4"-1/2".
- Cut into 2"x2" squares, or use a cookie cutter to make diamond or round shapes.
- Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Beat the remaining egg together with the water.
- Brush over tops.
- Bake until lightly browned around the edges, 15-20 minutes.
- Place baking sheet on wire rack and let cool.
- These are best the day they are made, but keep well if stored in a tightly closed container.