Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a fabulous accompaniment to any grilled meats...especially souvlaki pork or chicken and even lamb. It's also yummy as a dip for veggies. Heres a tip: grill some greek-style marinated pork or chicken, slather tzatziki sauce on a fresh pita bread, add meat, then top off with thinly sliced onion and some sliced tomato-a little more sauce on top and voila...Souvlaki Pita! *You can use low-fat sour cream or plain yogurt.
- 1 (500 ml) container sour cream
- 1 large English cucumber, unpeeled (seeded and grated)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried mint (optional) or 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint (optional)
- Grate cucumber and let sit in a colander to drain water for a 1/2 hour; squeeze excess and add to sour cream.
- Add remaining ingredients and let flavours meld for a couple of hours in the refrigerator.
I served this for lunch with sourdough bread and DD said "this tastes real !!!!". High praise indeed. I used fresh mint and low fat sour cream and diced the cucumber .This makes a generous amount and I am looking forward to taking it over to a friends house tonight to have with a drink before dinner. Made for Holiday Tag.
YUMMY: a deliciously creamy and flavoursome tzatziki which we greatly enjoyed with flower7's Apple Veggie Burgers. I love garlic so followed Peter J's lead and doubled the garlic, so this was also wonderfully garlicky. I used low-fat sour cream and included the mint. Thank you for sharing this super recipe, Lorrie! Whatever it does that dishes do when left in the privacy of the fridge so that the flavour intensifies, I respected! When we ate this it was SO much tastier than when first made and sampled. So do let it do its own thing for at least a few hours. I left mine for 24 hours. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
This was really spectacular with a lamb souvlaki! Only change I made was to use double the amount of garlic but I'm sure the original amount would be fine for most, but if you're a real garlic lover crank it up a bit like I did.