Recipe by Huskergirl
I love the sauce that is on a gyro. I wanted to make my own for a greek salad to use as a dressing and found this in a Gourmet magazine. It worked out great. Now I just need to figure out gyros so that I can have it on that. Cooking time is for the chilling it is not necessary but I like mine served cold.
Top Review by Pomtini
I shredded the cucumber and then used cheesecloth to squeeze out the extra liquid. I also added 1/4 tsp garlic powder. Make sure you use Greek yogurt, it is thicker than regular yogurt.
- 1⁄2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt (preferably goat's or sheep's milk)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss cucumber with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a colander and drain 15 minutes.
- Mince and mash garlic to a paste with 1/4 teaspoon salt, then whisk together with olive oil, yogurt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Squeeze out any excess water from cucumbers with your hands, then stir cucumbers into yogurt mixture. Season with salt.
- Cover and chill 1 hour.