Recipe by Debbie Chadwick
After visiting Greece I tried many recipes for Tzatziki and just couldn't get that thick Greek yogurt consistency. This recipe from Cooking Light is just what I have been looking for!
- 32 ounces plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cucumbers (no seeds)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a colander with coffee filters and place it in a large bowl.
- Put the yogurt into the colander cover with wrap and let the yogurt sit in the fridge overnight (8-12 hours).
- Discard liquid and spoon your nice thick yogurt into a large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Put grated cucumber in a sieve and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of the salt.
- Mix well and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Then squeeze until as dry as possible (blot with a paper towel).
- Mix the cucumber, 1/4 tsp salt, mint, pepper, garlic and olive oil with the yogurt.
- Let sit for several hours so that the flavors can blend.