Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This was the recipe I used in a pizza house that I owned back in the late '70's & '80s. I actually had to give out sample of gyros in order to get the people to try them. Once they tasted them they were hooked;D Fluffy light and flavorful sauce used on Gyros, as dip with pita chips & veggies, salad dressing also. Prep time does not include drainage time.
- 2 medium cucumbers, unpeeled, sliced and seeded and grated
- 1⁄2 white onion, diced
- 2 cups plain yogurt (drained overnight in a coffee filter)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill
- white pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Night before; grate, salt and drain cucumbers, drain yogurt (separately) I use a coffee filter or cheese cloth depending on how much I'm making.
- Next day just mix everything up and store in tightly closed container in fridge.
my first attempt at making my own tzatziki. sooo delish! i will never buy it again!
I am looking forthe perfect tzatziki recipe and keepcoming back to this. Bitsie, thanks.
I made this to go with lamb kebabs, and it was wonderful! Thanks for posting!