Top Review by troyh
June 11, 2001: I've been making tzatziki for years and this is the best one I've ever made. May 15, 2005: Used a chinois to drain the yogurt and it worked great. Much easier than a cheesecloth. Only drained for 3 hours, but turned out great again.
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 large cucumbers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a sieve with a damp cheesecloth and place over a large bowl.
- Dump the yogurt into the sieve, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to drain in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Peel the cucumbers.
- Cut them in half lengthwise.
- Using a teaspoon, scrape out and discard the seeds.
- Grate the cucumbers into a colander, using the large holes on a four-sided grater.
- Salt the cumcumbers and allow them to drain for 1/2 hour.
- Place the garlic, vinegar, and olive oil in a bowl and marinate while the cucumbers are draining.
- Squeeze the drained cucumbers as dry as possible and blot on paper towels.
- Place in the bowl with the marinated garlic.
- Add the drained yougurt and stir.
- Add a few grindings of fresh pepper and salt if necessary.
- Serve with toasted pita bread triangles.