1/2 Photos of Ty's 3 Day Smoked Tri-Tip
This is gotta be my favorite food. It's all mine, as far as I know. My mom gave me the idea though. She told me she liked to add soy sauce to ground-beef, to give it flavor. Also to make it not stink up the kitchen while it was cooking. So one day I decided to try soy sauce with tri-tip, only in a marinade instead of cooking with it. The weight of the meat doesn't make a difference, it's all in the time you marinate and the smoking itself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs tri-tip roast (Trimmed is great, but some like un-trimmed cause the fat adds flavor. That might be true, you decide)
- 16 fluid ounces soy sauce
- 2 fluid ounces straight bourbon whiskey, of your choice (I use Jim Beam)
- 12 ounces beer (I like to use NEW CASTLE)
- 1 tablespoon el yucateco chile habanero sauce
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground sea salt
- 1Combine mustard and half a cup of soy sauce in a bowl large enough for the tri-tip to marinate. Stir until mustard thins out.add the rest of the ingredients; mix well.
- 2Stab tri-tip about 25 times with a steak knife.
- 3Marinate for 3 days; turn once or twice a day (this tastes best). Overnight works, but try the 3 day method at least once! You can taste the difference!
- 4The day of bbq: AHH, the wait is over! Fill the smoker with coals! And I mean fill it! The wet wood chips will make your flame die down a bit.
- 5About an hour before you start smoking, put four handfuls of wood chips (hickory, mesquite or olive are best!) in a bowl of boiling hot water; let soak until your coals (NO GAS SMOKERS) are white or your smoker reads IDEAL. If you have a Brinkman, put wet wood chips right on the coals.
- 6When the ash clears, add your meat. Let cook with lid on or door shut, about 2 1/2 hours, flip at least once. Add chips every time the smoke dies down. Cut smoking time for rare meat.
- 7When it's done enough for you, (I like mine well done!) serve with macaroni salad and a beer roll, or potato salad and a potato bread roll. They both are great!
- 87Just make sure you have a beer to salute me if you like this recipe and good friends nearby to enjoy this with you is always great!
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ty's 3 Day Smoked Tri-Tip
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 148.9
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7028.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: