Recipe by Pets'R'us
A dish I created for the RSC #8. It has it all, and you just need to serve it with rice and fried plantains. I made it several times before posting it and came to the conclusion that if I replaced the scotch bonnet with a green or red chili it is still a very good dish but it loses some of the taste sensation. I realize that it is sometimes difficult to obtain certain ingredients and that the heat of a scotch bonnet might not be to your taste, so please feel free to substitute if availability is a problem. Note that the raisins need to be soaked for several hours and this is not included in the prep time.
Top Review by Linky
This was fabulous! Squash is not available here in summer, so I used a summer squash: zucchini. I could have used a sweet potato, maybe? Used red pepper flakes instead of scotch bonnet. Made for Pets cook-a-thon - her wonderful recipe lives on.
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- 1⁄2 cup dried coconut
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups butternut squash, small cubes
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeds removed and very finely chopped (the size is up to you)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into short strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (approx)
- 1 mango, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the raisins in the rum for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
- Mix the coconut with the milk, set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and brown the chicken, remove from the pan.
- Heat the other tablespoon of oil, add to the pan: the onion, butternut squash, garlic, scotch bonnet and some salt and pepper, fry for approx 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Now add the ginger and the curry powder, fry for another 5 minutes whilst stirring.
- Add the sweet bell pepper strips, coconut/milk mixture and chicken stock and return the chicken cubes to the skillet.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Then add the soaked raisins and the mango cubes.
- Heat through, add the lime juice and taste to check if you want to add more.
- Serve with rice and fried slices of plantain.