1/8 Photos of Typical Dutch Breakfast / Vlokken, Kwinkslag En Hagel
When Dutch young people between the ages of 2 and 99 get up in the morning, this is often the breakfast of choice. It's very very traditional in the Netherlands and here we have Vlokken and Hagelslag in many variations of colours, textures and flavours. What is it, you might ask? well the most basic one looks like the little chocolate bits used in cake decoration LOL, but here it's served up on bread (NEVER toast) for breakfast. If you are really Dutch and/or really brave you eat it as an open sandwich, to the untrained in the art of Hagelslag this can result in more of the chocolate bits on the floor than in your mouth, so beginners might perfer to add an extra slice of bread on the top to keep everything in a little better. Use margarine or slightly softened butter on the bread to help keep everything in place too. For the "quantity" of hagel I have been conservative but for Dutch kids the rule of thumb is: get as much on as you think you can get away with! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 slice bread (another one for a "top" is optional)
- margarine (or slightly softened butter)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chocolate sprinkles (hagelslaag, vlokken or kwinkslag or gestempte muisjes)
- 1Take the slice of bread (always bread, Toast is a concept from over to other side of the English Channel).
- 2Spread one side with margarine or softened butter.
- 3Pour on your hagelslag, vlokken or kwinkslag (you can press it down with a knife to make it stick a little better if you want).
- 4Cut the slice of bread in half and eat!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Typical Dutch Breakfast / Vlokken, Kwinkslag En Hagel
Serving Size: 1 (25 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 66.5
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 127.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: