Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Tyler Florence on the Food Network is one of my favorite chefs. I really like that show "How to Boil Water", but this recipe came from Tyler's Ultimate Tailgating show on Super Bowl weekend courtesy of his dad. It looked absolutely divine and I LOVE LOVE LOVE chili dogs, chili fries, and chili and cheese wraps. The ingredients and prep are simple and I have all the ingredients on hand usually.
- 4 beef hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- chili sauce
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- When hot, add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until it is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, breaking it up with the back of a spoon, and cook until nicely browned, about 10 more minutes.
- Stir in the ketchup, chili powder, and mustard and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- While the chili is cooking, get the grill going.
- Place a large grill pan on 2 burners over medium-high heat or preheat an outdoor gas or charcoal barbecue and get it very hot.
- Take a few paper towels and fold them several times to make a thick square.
- Blot a small amount of oil on the paper towel.
- Then carefully and quickly wipe the hot grates of the grill to make a nonstick grilling surface.
- Bring a pot of water up to a simmer and parboil the dogs for about 5 minutes.
- Take them out of the water, pat them dry, and grill them just long enough to mark them. (That'll give them a grilled flavor too.)
- Brush the insides of the rolls with olive oil and lay them face down on the grill; cook until toasty.
- To serve, put a dog in each roll and top with the chili and some Cheddar.
Seen this recipe made on the Tyler's Ultimate on the food network channel. I came to this site and found the recipe. My hubby and I enjoyed the chili dogs. I added a dash of sugar to the chili and a dash of smoked paprika. Turned out delicious!! Thanks for sharing :)
Very good! I did reduce the ketchup to 2 cups, and increased the chili powder to 1/2 Tbsp. Very easy recipe, will definitely be making this again.
This was my husband's first time having chili dogs. He loved it, but wanted more "chili" upon tasting, so I added more powder. There was a LOT of ketchup in this...I would use less next time. Thanks for this easy recipe.