1/1 Photo of Tyler Florence's Ultimate Roast Chicken
1 hr 20 mins
Jessica K's Note:
I Got this off of Food network's website, and like it soo much i thought I'd post it!! I like the orange idea instead of using lemons! This was on his English cooking episode. There were about 3 roast chickens listed, but this one looked and tastes the best to me!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2494.75 g whole chickens
- 1 bunch fresh oregano
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 bunch parsley
- 113.39 g butter, softened
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 orange, halved
- 1 head garlic
- 1 medium white onion, halved, plus 1 onion
- 6 slice smoked bacon
- 29.58 ml flour
- 354.88 ml chicken broth
- 59.14 ml dry sherry
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Rinse the chicken with cool water, inside and out. Pat it dry with paper towels. Divide the herbs, keeping 1/2 of them whole. Finely chop the other half.
- 3In a small bowl, mash the softened butter with the chopped herbs, until combined. Rub the herbed butter under the skin, as well as all over the outside of the chicken.
- 4Season the bird all over with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with the orange, garlic, 1 onion, and the remaining herbs. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine to help hold its shape.
- 5Place the chicken, breast-side up, in a roasting pan. Put the remaining onion into the pan, which will help color and flavor the sauce. Lay the strips of bacon across the breast of the chicken and roast for 25 minutes.
- 6Remove the bacon and baste the chicken with the drippings and cook for another 25 minutes to brown the skin. The chicken is done when an instant-read thermometer reads 165 degrees F when inserted into the thickest part of the thigh (the legs of the chicken should wiggle easily from the sockets too.) Remove the chicken to a platter and let stand for 10 minutes, so the juices settle back into the meat before carving.
- 7Meanwhile, remove the softened onion from the roasting pan. Tilt the pan so the drippings collect in 1 corner, skimming off as much fat as possible, and leaving the drippings.
- 8Place the roasting pan on top of the stove over medium heat and take a wooden spoon to scrape up the flavor from the bottom of the pan. Stir the flour into the drippings to make a roux-like paste. Pour in the chicken broth in stages; continue to stir to dissolve the flour evenly to prevent lumps. Stir in the sherry and season with salt and pepper.
- 9To serve, carve the chicken tableside and squeeze the oranges from the cavity over the meat.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tyler Florence's Ultimate Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1267.9
- Calories from Fat 832
- Total Fat 92.5 g
- Saturated Fat 34.6 g
- Cholesterol 368.3 mg
- Sodium 1007.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 77.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: