1/5 Photos of Tyler Florence's Ultimate Fish and Chips
Jessica K's Note:
I got this off the food network site. I haven't tried these but my hubby loves fish and chips. He grew up overseas and used to be able to get them regularly. I showed him several recipes, including zaar ones, and this was the one he said to make!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (12 ounce) can soda water
- 1/2 cup rice flour, for dredging
- 2 (8 ounce) cod fish fillets or 2 (8 ounce) haddock fillets, cut in 1/2 on an angle
- malt vinegar, for serving
- 1Heat 3 inches of the oil in a deep fryer. Or you can heat 3 inches of oil in a deep pot. Peel the potatoes and cut them into chips, about the size of your index finger.
- 2Put the potatoes in the oil. Fry the chips for 2 to 3 minutes; they should not be crisp or fully cooked at this point. Remove the chips with a spider strainer or slotted spoon, to a paper towel-lined platter to drain.
- 3Put the chips back in the fryer for 4 to 5 minutes until crispy and brown. Take out and drain.
- 4In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and egg. Pour in the soda water and whisk to a smooth batter.
- 5Spread the rice flour on a plate. Dredge the fish pieces in the rice flour and then dip them into the batter, letting the excess drip off.
- 6Now submerge the battered fish into the bubbling oil for 4 to 5 minutes until crispy and brown.
- 7Remove and drain the fish with the chips on paper towels; season lightly with salt. Serve wrapped in a newspaper cone with malt vinegar and/or tartar sauce.
- 8Tartar Sauce (about 1-1/4 cups): In a small mixing bowl, combine all tartar sauce ingredients. Chill before serving to let the flavors combine.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tyler Florence's Ultimate Fish and Chips
Serving Size: 1 (682 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1240.8
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 147.8 mg
- Sodium 1982.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 192.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.2 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 50.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: