Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the ABC News Morning show on 29 May 2006. Prep time does not include the 15 minutes to 2 hours necessary to brine the chicken.
- 2 (3 1/2-4 lb) roasting chickens, quartered
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed with side of large knife
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
The Ultimate Barbecue Sauce
- 1 slice bacon
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- fresh ground black pepper
- Brine the chicken as follows: Combine water, salt, sugar, garlic, and thyme in a 2-gallon sized resealable plastic bag.
- Add the chicken, close the bag and refrigerate 2 hours (if you've got only 15 minutes, that's fine) to allow the salt and seasonings to penetrate the chicken.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce as follows: Wrap the bacon around the bunch of thyme and tie with kitchen twine so you have a nice bundle.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the thyme and cook slowly 3 to 4 minutes to render the bacon fat and give the sauce a smoky taste.
- Add the onion and garlic. Cook slowly without coloring for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, give the sauce a stir, and turn the heat down to low.
- Cook slowly for 20 minutes to meld the flavors.
- Cook the chicken as follows: Preheat an outdoor gast or charcoal barbecue to medium heat.
- Take a few paper towels and fold them several times to make a thick square. Blot a small amount of oil on the paper towel and carefully and quickly wipe the hot grates of the grill to make a non-stick surface.
- Remove the chicken from the brine, pat the chicken dry on the paper towels.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on the preheated grill and cook,turn once mid way, and cook for a total of 15 minutes.
- Serve with extra sauce.
This was amazing! I followed the recipe exactly, but used 1kg of chicken thigh fillets and just cooked them on the barbeque. Still have some sauce left, so may make another batch today. Thanks for sharing this winner.